We have had a few questions about our Green Practices- what do we do to limit waste, limit chemical use, limit overall footprint……
Organic & Natural: The gardens and lawns are maintained using primarily organic fertilizers and/or natural pulling, thinning, propagation and salvage. Our linens are 100% cotton or bamboo blend where available. We attempt to use all natural cleaners for housekeeping.
Waste Practices: Siloam Retreat recycles all glass, plastic, and metal; composts food and yard waste when possible. We have re-used and re-purposed all sorts of construction materials, including refurbishing the shop with sustainable, re-cycled, and re-purposed materials.
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle: As you may observe we have re-used several components from our Private Wine Tastings:
- Wine Cork Rain Chains- used corks from wine have been saved and sewn together to create rain chains; there are several hanging around the property. We would be happy to create one for you or pass on the directions on how to create your own.
- Wine Tree- some wine bottles are just too pretty we have saved a few of our favorite artistic wine bottles and hung them from trees- it’s beautiful when the sun catches the color or to see a bird taking a rest on the hanging bottle.
- Message in a Bottle-again with the pretty bottles we have created a landscape art by designing a dry creek bed with pebbles and gem stones and a floating wine bottle as a little yard art.
- Water Bottles- wine bottles turned upside down full of water pressed into the plant container are an ideal way to get slow release of water to your container gardens.
- Mirror Mosaics- rather than see a broken mirror as bad luck we have saved mirror pieces and created several mosaics including the Siloam sign greeting guests at the bottom of the driveway. Mirrors artistically represent the ‘healing water’ of Siloam.
Water Conservation: Every appliance and plumbing fixture is new and highly efficient. We only wash linens and towels between each guest stay.
Energy Conservation: The Wine Shop has been insulated, we put in a new high-efficiency heat and water heaters using gas as much as we can. Separate thermostats in guest rooms reduce heating & cooling usage.
Family Style: Our showers are equipped with family style products to limit waste from individual plastic containers. All soaps and personal hygiene products are made from natural products and contain herbs and scents for an aromatherapy experience. We also provide smores in a family style to limit packaging and waste.
Suggestions: We value our environment, want to do our part to preserve the planet, we value your input and would appreciate any suggestions you have to help us improve our green practices.
We get a lot of questions about the upside down wine bottles in all of our container gardens- it’s really a good source of water and re-use of wine bottles. It may look strange but it’s not about looks – it’s about Reduce, Reuse, Recycle…..especially when you are in the Wine Business opening, pouring, serving lots of wine…..So much wine….so little time, right?!!